Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Deep in the Heart: Grand Convention 2013



View from the 38th floor of the Sheraton Dallas hotel!


"Deep in my heart, I love my ADPi"
 
Coming from a less vocally gifted chapter, as we'll call them (still love ya Alpha Theta girls, don't worry 'bout it!), this was an oft-sung ADPi chant that I was not familiar with this past week. But oh, was it appropriate! First of course it fit the theme for ADPi's 162nd Anniversary Grand Convention, and second I must say that after my six days spent deep in the heart of Texas in Dallas, Alpha Delta Pi snuck its way even deeper into my heart. As if anyone thought that could be possible.
 
I was definitely a bit nervous as I de-boarded my plane at DFW airport, ready to meet my consultant sisters who I had only thoroughly creeped upon on Facebook - yeahhhh we all did it, it's ok. Luckily it ended up that the lovely Miss Logan Sparks was also on my shuttle, so we were able to brake the ice on the ride to the hotel. Once there we ran into 3 other sisters - Morgan, Caroline, and Grace. After finding our rooms and dropping off our things all the 2013-2014 Leadership Consultants were finally united and I was able to meet Lauren, Haley, Katherine, Courtney (though we already knew one another :)), and the next day Katie, but I'll include her here now for simplicity's sake.
 
Our very first LC hug train! (A sorority girl staple).
From left to right: Caroline, Morgan, Katie, Lauren, Katherine, yours truly, Haley, Logan, Grace, and Courtney.


 
The convention itself was a whirlwind of introductions, songs, long-standing traditions, awards, important sorority business and a whole lot of ADPi lovin'. The Grand Council for the next biennium was selected, and they are as follows:

 International President – Tammie S. Pinkston
International VP of Collegiate Membership – Stacy DeMartini Bruton
International VP of Collegiate Membership – Jan Maisch
International VP of Alumnae Membership – Renee Bailey Iacona
International VP of Communications – Jennifer Siler
International VP of Finance – Emily Erkel
International VP of Organizational Relations – Sandy McDonald Davis
 
 
Highlights of the week for me personally were Friday morning's 'Get Fit with the Foundation' Zumba session, breakin' it down doing the Wobble with hundreds of sisters and specifically Grand President Tammie Pinkston at the Texas Dance Party that night (do you sense a theme? I looove to move), and finally the panel discussion on Higher Education and Greek Life on Saturday afternoon. I loved hearing the perspective of qualified Greek Life professionals across the country, some sisters and others exciting guests such as Jean Mrasek, incoming NPC Conference Chairman. I'm hoping to explore the world of Higher Education throughout my travels in the coming year, so I'll certainly be keeping you all posted on my journey through that.
 
Now that I'm back on the Best Coast after a long but exciting week, I'm ready for some time to de-brief, as well as plan and pack for the amazing year ahead. The final and perhaps most meaningful part of the week was that I got my Violet sister - much like Diamond sisters but specifically a past consultant mentor. I was blessed to be matched with the amazing Brittany Walker, who graced Alpha Theta with her presence this past Spring right before my final interview and has been supporting me ever since.
 
Lovin' my new Vi - and so excited to join the Vinasty!
 
 
Only three short weeks until I'm jet-settin' to Atlanta and reunited with my sisters and new friends. Until then, I will enjoy the summer that has finally reached the PNW. Sunshine and summer time!


1 comment:

  1. So happy you have a blog!! I can't wait to follow along with your adventures this year. :) Let me know if you need anything on the road or even before training while you're trying to pack your life away! :) Pi love!

    ReplyDelete