Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm gonna raise my sail

Blog title: Sailboat - Ben Rector

One week in Connecticut down, folks!

 
 
 
I started this post sitting in the LaGuardia Airport in NY, waiting for the winds to carry me back out West for my first trip home since this crazy LC adventure began. And boy, was I excited.

Week 1 in my new home was filled with ups and downs. I had some sincere moments of triumph (grocery shopping, navigating a new state, and dealing with car issues all by myself? I'd call that a win) and already experienced some failure. Let me catch you up where my last post left off...

I got dropped off at the teeeeeeny tiny airport in Muscle Shoals, AL by my awesome Zeta Eta roomie, Kathryn. We hugged and said our goodbyes, and while in my heart I was sad to leave these wonderful sisters I was excited to get to Connecticut and settle in as Theta Rho's resident consultant in my new East coast life.

After a peaceful flight I landed in White Plains, NY it in a quaint little airport. I picked up my luggage, marched myself over to the rental car counter, and got my keys. After tossing (read: heaving) my bags in the back, my bff Siri took me on a beautiful route through the back roads of NY. Who knew the Northeast was so green and beautiful?! I'm not too embarrassed to admit that I was definitely talking to myself along the drive, oohing and ahhing in marvel at the gorgeous colonial mansions I passed. My drive was smooth, and soon enough I was in Shelton, CT pulling in to the Extended Stay. I'll tell you - there was a lot of laughs already had about this whole 'Extended Stay' deal. Typically resident consultants are set up in apartments, so when my fellow sisters of the suitcase and I learned I'd be living the hotel life for 4 months we cracked some jokes. But, the good news is it's a lovely little place! It's been nice to have a studio all set up for me, and I've continued to add things here and there to make it feel more like home. And as friend reminded me - at least I don't have to make my own bed! Score.

Upon my arrival I jumped immediately in to Spirit Week and leading 8 hour workshops for women I hadn't even had the opportunity to learn the names of. Here's where the less glamorous parts of the job come in to play. Because sometimes
you're alone.
and uncertain.
 and just plain overwhelmed.

And I wouldn't be being honest if I didn't admit that I felt all of those things. But, following that, I also experienced one of the most successful workshops I have had the pleasure of leading! The women I get to work with (who's names I am now learning) are curious, engaged, eager to learn and completely head-over-heels in love with Alpha Delta Pi. And at times when I wonder what the heck I'm doing with my life, they remind me that our sisterhood is a gift, and one that I'm lucky to be able to share.

I had a great few days off at home to refresh and recharge (more on that later) and now I feel ready to tackle the semester before me. And after the ridiculous travel day I had yesterday, I'm fully confident I can tackle whatever Connecticut throws at me. On that note, a story for you all so you can fully grasp the plights of a recent college grad jet-setting the country by herself:
 
I landed back in LaGuardia around 6:30pm ET after a delay at O'Hare, only to realize that my rental car location was only open until 6. After walking the length of the taxi pickup three times, I shuttled over to the closest Enterprise and got in to a temporary rental for the evening until I could get myself in to something more permanent. Once in my sparkly blue Dodge Avenger (not as cute as it sounds), I remembered that in the midst of my rental panic I had forgotten to stop at an ATM in the airport to get cash for the toll bridge I knew I would have to cross in order to get back in to CT. So, I did what any twenty-something would do - I used my iPhone to map the nearest 7-11. After driving about 10 minutes away from LGA in a direction that only became more and more concerning, I found my 7-11 - in an area right outside of Queens. It was nearly 8 o'clock at this time, and the darkness and my desperation were only growing. So, I parked my car, grabbed my Vera printed wallet, and marched my very obviously out of place self in the store to get cash back on a SmartWater.

This is going to be a funny year.
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! When I saw your Instagram I thought the extended stay hotel was just until you got into your apartment haha. That will be nice to have less chores, though! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the lovely ladies of Theta Rho. Let me know if you ever need anything! :)

    ReplyDelete